You might be wondering what the difference is between a typical French toast recipe, and a dog-friendly French toast recipe. The difference is very minimal – but EXTREMELY important. Most French toast recipes call for nutmeg. Nutmeg is a huge NO-NO on your pup’s ingredient list due to a compound in the nutmeg called Myristicin , which can cause seizures in dogs.
Dog-Safe French Toast
- 1 organic egg
- 2 organic egg whites
- 1/2 cup organic milk ***
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 4 slices organic bread
- non-fat butter flavored cooking spray
***Some dogs do not do well with milk. We used regular milk, but if your dog does not do well with regular milk, you can experiment with almond milk, coconut milk, or goat’s milk.
- Whisk egg and egg whites.
- Add milk, vanilla and cinnamon, then whisk again.
- Coat your skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set stove to medium-low heat.
- Generously dip the bread into the egg mixture, turning the slice to coat it thoroughly.
- Cook the bread slices in the hot skillet, turning until both sides are lightly browned.
Most people top their French Toast with butter and/or syrup. Hold off on those not-so-healthy toppers for your pup. Instead, choose strawberries and/or bananas to add some sweetness, or drizzle a small amount of organic honey on top.