Lamb Sliders with Cucumber Sauce
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon organic fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh organic mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 pint organic plain Greek yogurt
- 2 medium organic cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Place all burger ingredients (except coconut oil) in a bowl and mix with your hands
- Form into “slider” sized patties
- Heat skillet over medium heat
- Add coconut oil to the skillet. Using a spatula, spread the oil over the entire bottom of the skillet
- When the skillet is hot, add the patties.
- Turn patties during frying, cooking until browned, and internal temperature reaches 160° F
- Place yogurt and chopped cucumber in a food processor and purée
Spinach and Goat Cheese Frittata
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fresh organic baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon organic goat cheese
- Heat a 6″ iron skillet on the stove over low heat
- Add the coconut oil and using a spatula, evenly coat the bottom of the skillet
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the water, and whisk
- Add the spinach to the eggs and stir (you can add all the spinach here if you’d like, although we chose to place some pieces of the spinach on the omelet once it was in the skillet – see step 6)
- Pour the eggs in the skillet
- Place a few spinach leaves on top of the omelet
- Let the eggs firm up a bit, then tilt the skillet and lift the egg slightly with a spatula to allow the remaining liquid to run onto the skillet. Continue to do this until all liquid is gone
- Continue to cook over low heat until firm.
- Top with goat cheese
- Let cool, and cut into appropriate serving sizes for your pup
“Chocolate” Chip Peanut Butter PUPcakes
The “chocolate” chips are actually unsweetened carob chips, which are safe for dogs. These PUPcakes seem to be an immediate favorite with our pack. Our pups were begging for samples before the cupcakes were even out of the oven! After the PUPcakes cooled completely, a taste-test by our 4-legged Head Chef proved that these tasty treats are Cello-approved!
- 2 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup organic peanut butter
- ***Be sure the peanut butter you choose does not contain xylitol, which can be toxic to dogs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1/3 cup organic honey
- 3 organic eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened carob chips
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Put the whole wheat flour in a bowl and set aside
- Place peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for about 10-15 seconds
- Combine the peanut butter, applesauce, and honey. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the whisked eggs to the peanut butter mixture and stir well.
- Slowly begin to add the flour, mixing to combine after each added portion
- Add the carob chips and stir
- Use a 2-Tablespoon sized cookie scooper to fill mini muffin liners.
- Place the filled liners into a 24-cup mini muffin pan
- if you don’t have mini cupcake liners, you can spray each muffin pan cup with an organic non-stick cooking spray before scooping in the dough to each cup
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers of each PUPcake comes out clean.
- Let PUPcakes cool on a wire rack in the pan for about 10-15 minutes
- Remove PUPcakes from pan and continue to cool completely on a wire rack
- Refrigerate or freeze
- PUPcakes will last about 3 weeks in the refrigerator, or approximately 6 months in the freezer
- If freezing, be sure to thaw PUPcakes before serving
- 3/4 c of your dog’s kibble
- 3 organic eggs
- 340g container of organic cheese
- 2 Tb of organic coconut oil
- 6″ diameter spring pan
- organic ground cinnamon (optional)
- place kibble in a blender or food processor and blend until fine
- warm coconut oil until it is in liquid form and mix in to kibble
- press kibble mixture into bottom of pan
- whisk cottage cheese and egg together
- press cottage cheese mixture through a strainer to remove lumps
- place spring pan on a steamer rack inside of a pan (I used a wok)
- fill pan with water until water level is just under spring pan, but not touching it
- place lid on pan
- steam for approximately 30 minutes, or until firm (time will depend on what size cheese cake pan you use)
- sprinkle with cinnamon (optional)
I found the original recipe at feedmypaws.com and adjusted it from there.
You might be wondering what the difference is between a typical French toast recipe, and a dog-friendly French toast recipe. The difference is very minimal – but EXTREMELY important. Most French toast recipes call for nutmeg. Nutmeg is a huge NO-NO on your pup’s ingredient list due to a compound in the nutmeg called Myristicin , which can cause seizures in dogs.
Dog-Safe French Toast
- 1 organic egg
- 2 organic egg whites
- 1/2 cup organic milk ***
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 4 slices organic bread
- non-fat butter flavored cooking spray
***Some dogs do not do well with milk. We used regular milk, but if your dog does not do well with regular milk, you can experiment with almond milk, coconut milk, or goat’s milk.
- Whisk egg and egg whites.
- Add milk, vanilla and cinnamon, then whisk again.
- Coat your skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set stove to medium-low heat.
- Generously dip the bread into the egg mixture, turning the slice to coat it thoroughly.
- Cook the bread slices in the hot skillet, turning until both sides are lightly browned.
Most people top their French Toast with butter and/or syrup. Hold off on those not-so-healthy toppers for your pup. Instead, choose strawberries and/or bananas to add some sweetness, or drizzle a small amount of organic honey on top.
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp organic ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups organic grated carrot
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 c organic unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, and ginger
- Stir in the grated carrots, and combine until the carrots are coated with the flour mixture and are not longer clumped.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat the eggs
- Next, stir in the eggs, water, olive oil, and applesauce
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the applesauce mixture.
- Stir all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Spray a mini muffin tray with organic non-stick cooking spray
- Pour the cake batter into the cupcake tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
**Optional: When cupcakes are completely cooled, top with Cauliflower Cream Cheese Icing
This recipe can also be used to make an 8-inch round cake.
Recipe modified from Dog Cakes: Recipes for Every Occasion