This great dog treat recipe originally came from Dog Treat Kitchen. However, I altered the recipe a bit to fit Cello’s dietary needs.
- 1 1/2 cups dry dog food, ground coarse using a food processor (Cello eats Orijen – 6-Fish variety)
- 1/2 cup organic buckwheat flour
- 1 lb. organic ground bison meat
- 1/4 cup organic honey
- 1/8 cup organic applesauce, unsweetened
- Cook the bison, breaking apart into very small pieces. (I boiled the bison, saving the broth for other future recipes).
- Pour the dog food into a food processor or blender and grind to a coarse flour.
- Whisk together the coarse dog food and buckwheat flour in a medium bowl.
- Stir together the meat, honey and applesauce in a separate small bowl.
- Stir the meat mixture into the dry mixture until combined.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form into meatballs – vary the size, or keep them all uniform.
- Serve fresh, or place in your freezer until frozen, approximately 2 hours.
Storing – This treat needs to be kept in the refrigerator or freezer. Keep in the freezer for up to 4 months.