ANOTHER snow day here in Southern NJ… perfect day for baking dog treats!
Cello waits and watches patiently as these yummy-smelling Valentines Day treats bake in Cello’s Cucina!
Peanut Butter-Honey Hearts
- 2 cups organic buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup organic, natural peanut butter (no salt or sugar added)
- 1 TB honey
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- Additional flour for rolling (or parchment paper)
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix in the peanut butter, honey, and hot water.
- Knead the dough well.
- Roll out the dough into 1/4″ thickness and cut into shapes with dog cookie cutters.
- Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven and let them cool overnight. (I just took mine out at 40 minutes and cooled them on a wire rack – see notes below).
If your dog likes less-crunchy treats, you cool them completely on a wire rack, then serve them to your four-legged child!
These treats come out pretty crunchy even if you don’t keep them in the oven over night…so if your pup prefers softer treats, you can try reducing the cook-time, and cooling the treats on a wire rack.
Yield: Will depend on the size cookie cutter you use.
Storing: These tasty treats can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 weeks or n the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tips: The dough for these treats can be pretty sticky to work with at first, especially while kneading. You can dust your work place and rolling-pin with some extra buckwheat flour, or (my favorite) you can line your work place with parchment paper, then place another piece of parchment paper over the dough while rolling it out. Also, keep a dish of extra buckwheat flour next to you and “dip” the cookie cutter in the flour each time before making the cut-outs.