It’s been a little while since I’ve tried a new recipe. With the addition of Hooch to our family, I haven’t had much free time to experiment. This recipe has been on my “must-try” list for quite some time. I was glad I found the time to try it – – Cello LOVES these treats!
- 2 1/2 cups organic buckwheat flour
- 2 cups organic cheddar cheese produced without added hormones, grated
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (I use cage-free brown)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
Cheese & Peanut Butter Filling:
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, fat free
- 1/2 cup organic all-natural peanut butter, creamy or chunky (so salt added)
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- In a small bowl, whisk the two eggs together.
- Stir in the extra virgin olive oil and applesauce.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the applesauce mixture into the dry ingredients and stir, using a fork, until a dough forms.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, pack the cheesy mixture into the scoop.
- Place the scoops on the baking sheet close together, as they do not raise in the oven.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Leave the dog treats in the oven, once it’s turned off, to cool.
- If using the cheese dip to create a cheese sandwich, flatten the rounded cookie and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl, measure out the cream cheese and peanut butter
- Microwave the ingredients at 10 second intervals, and stir after each one, until the mixture comes together easily.
- Use a butter knife to spread the filling
- Or, scoop the cheese mixture into a zip lock bag and seal. Cut off the tip and squeeze mixture out like a thick frosting.
Storing – This dog biscuit recipe will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Freeze them for up to 6 months.
View original recipe from Dog Treat Kitchen HERE.