The 2014 flagstone patio project did not hold up well, and our patio went back to being unsafe to walk on. When the bulkhead was being done, the flagstone was pretty much completely destroyed. In addition, we had so much more space, so it was time to look into something different.
Although we loved the flagstone, we decided it would be best to replace it with something more suitable for holding up tothe wear-and-tear of our pack of pups.
On our first floor, the kitchen and front bedroom, which we use as our Master Bedroom, was an addition to the original log cabin.
(Click HERE to see the construction on the kitchen, and click HERE to see the bay window installation in the kitchen).
While restoring the original cabin, we also wanted to be sure we “married” the addition to the cabin so that the newer part of the home matched the rest of the cabin.
Even the “easiest” of construction in this home has never been easy. This project proved to follow suit.
We “camped” out in the lodge room during the duration of the construction.
I’m not sure why I didn’t take pictures of the entire bedroom as I did all the other rooms in the house, but here is the one photo I did find of the bedroom when we moved into the house:
Although you can’t see the ceiling in the above photo, the bedroom ceiling was the only room in our home that wasn’t wooden slats. Here is the wood going up on the ceiling to match the rest of the ceilings in the house:
The original cabin is an authentic and historic log cabin – built with full cedar logs and chinking (the white stuff in between the logs). To make it appear “real” in the addition, we had to put up half-logs. You can also see in the above and below pictures that the half-logs are up, but no chinking has been installed yet.
This is the original bathroom of the home. It had a window which faced the street, and a tub/shower. By the time we had bought the cabin, the tub had been removed, the logs had been covered with paneling, and over the paneling drywall and wall paper had been installed.
This is the powder room the day we looked at the cabin for the first time.
I just couldn’t stand the wallpaper, so when we moved in, I painted over it as at temporary fix until we could get started on the construction of this room.
When we began to rip out the drywall and paneling, we also realized because of the way they married the walls to the bedroom and kitchen addition, it was best to add half-logs, rather than expose the original logs, as we had first planned.
Half logs were put on walls, and stained to match the original logs.
The toilet was too close to the wall now that the half logs were installed, so we had to move the toilet slightly.
…and repair the flooring…
Brian had the idea to make a vanity from a large cedar stump:
Brian hollowed out the stump using a chainsaw to make room for the pipes.
An in-set hole had to be made for the sink, and a hole for the faucet had to be cut. This was all very time-consuming, as we only had one shot at making this vanity right, or we’d have to search for another cedar stump!
Testing out the sink:
After all holes were cut, I applied a finish to the wood.
Moving the log into the powder room:
Vanity and sink in place, floor re-finished, and new toilet. We uncovered the original window of the bathroom and decided to have a piece of stained glass made to hang in its frame, since the window opening now backs up to the kitchen addition:
Stained glass installed!
Faux tin ceiling to replace the paneled ceiling:
This powder room is the FIRST officially completed room in our cabin!