On our first floor, the kitchen and front bedroom, which we use as our Master Bedroom, was an addition to the original log cabin.
(Click HERE to see the construction on the kitchen, and click HERE to see the bay window installation in the kitchen).
While restoring the original cabin, we also wanted to be sure we “married” the addition to the cabin so that the newer part of the home matched the rest of the cabin.
Even the “easiest” of construction in this home has never been easy. This project proved to follow suit.
We “camped” out in the lodge room during the duration of the construction.
I’m not sure why I didn’t take pictures of the entire bedroom as I did all the other rooms in the house, but here is the one photo I did find of the bedroom when we moved into the house:
Although you can’t see the ceiling in the above photo, the bedroom ceiling was the only room in our home that wasn’t wooden slats. Here is the wood going up on the ceiling to match the rest of the ceilings in the house:
The original cabin is an authentic and historic log cabin – built with full cedar logs and chinking (the white stuff in between the logs). To make it appear “real” in the addition, we had to put up half-logs. You can also see in the above and below pictures that the half-logs are up, but no chinking has been installed yet.
Chinking going in:
When we had Cello and Hooch’s dock diving runway put in, we decided to add some landscaping to make the lakeside yard look a bit nicer.
Ripping out the old lattice, and preparing for the stone work:
Old lattice was ripped off, new lattice was installed, and landscaping was added.
The kitchen has been the longest-running project. We built the cabinets all by hand – with no plans to follow, and no idea what we were doing! We get complements on them constantly – they really came out great – and fit right in with our cabin!
The kitchen is mostly completed as of today (11/16/2013)…but we still need to complete the ceiling (we are going to do a tin ceiling), get hardware for the cabinets, and complete the chinking on 3 walls of the kitchen and adjoining pantry.
The kitchen when we originally looked at the house…
The kitchen during the demolition…
Building the cabinets
…and the kitchen as of 11/16/13
Copper farm sink…Brian’s pick!
Other end of the kitchen
Adjoining pantry/laundry room (still needing the chinking in between the logs down as well as the ceiling)
Chinking (white stuff!) getting done in the kitchen:
One of the walls in our kitchen was nothing but rotted logs (from old roof leakage) and a very tiny window. We had the logs on hand, but hadn’t gotten around to replacing the wall. Friends of ours called us one morning to tell us they were removing a large window from their home to replace with a larger window, and that they thought we may be able to use it…well, it was a perfect size, and we dropped what we were doing that day, and ripped out the wall and old window!
Rotted logs and old window removed
New window in and trimmed, and new logs installed…just need to stain the logs, and chink in between logs
More paneling on walls and ceiling to rip out… this room was a “treat”…we discovered to bats behind the paneling while ripping it out…quite the experience – and something I will NEVER forget!
The bar before…
Bye Bye paneling….!
Bats…YIKES! Brian brought them safely out of our house!
With the paneling gone, it’s on to stripping the bark off the logs, sanding them down, staining the logs, securing loose wires, repairing the chinking, and painting the chinking!
The exposed ceiling in the bar…
The bar after all the staining and painting…
Originally, the lodge room walls and ceiling were covered with painted-white paneling, and the ceiling was dropped down far enough where we could reach up and touch it. (The actual original height of the lodge room is 21 feet). You could only see half of the 2 story stone fireplace. After we tore all the paneling off, we had to strip the logs of the bark (by hand), sand the logs, stain the logs, re-run the wires to hide them, repair the chinking (white stuff in between the logs), and paint the chinking… it was quite the project!! In the middle of us doing this project, we had people asking us where we are living when all this is going on… the look on their faces when we told them we were living “right here!” in the middle of this construction zone was hysterical!
Lodge Room fireplace before…
Ripping out the paneling…
Windows behind the paneling! Awesome…light!
After the ceiling was exposed, the logs were stained, and the chinking was painted…
The original cabin had a log rail stair case that led upstairs… but when we bought the house, you’d never know it! We were determined to rip out the wall leading upstairs, and build log railings …
Stairway leading upstairs
Where the log railing SHOULD be…
Cutting down the wall leading upstairs…
AAAAHHH….that’s more like it!